Friday, April 24, 2015

Focus - Round 4

 The fourth round for the Nesting Robin says to add something with curves................so here are some mountains and hills. This is a miniature landscape that will finish around 5 x 15 inches. There will be a flower appliqued to the bottom left corner. The flower can be seen in the sketch at the bottom of this post.

 I am now thinking about putting the two new elements on top of the main part but still not sure.


Making this little landscape was quick and fun. The curves are not so tight that they have to be appliqued on, but can be machine pieced using a technique by Ruth McDowell I learned years ago. I love to use this technique because it is faster to sew on the machine and is really accurate. I made the sketch to scale and then numbered the parts. Next I drew the mirror image on the dull side of freezer paper. I cut apart the freezer paper into the pieces and pressed them with a hot iron to the back side of the fabric. I cut them out with a 1/4 seam allowance (this is just eyeballed). Then I marked around the outside of each template and included the little registration marks. Next was figuring out what order to sew them together. I added template 3 and 5 to 7. Then added 2 to 4. Then I attached the 2/4 unit to the top unit. Next I added 1 and last 6. You can see the little flower in the sketch.............that will be done by needle turn applique at a later time.

No comments: