I finished my latest improv quilt. In the end I am surprised at how well it turned out considering the design challenges along the way. There was a point where I really had my doubts about where it was going. I like the movement the curves create so I decided to really bring those out in the final shape by making the bottom corners into definite curves. I did very simple grid in inconsistent curvy lines. In an afterthought I would have loved to have a varagated thread with blacks, greys and red but alas I did not have any such thread. I did audition one thread but it had greys and blacks with green and purple undertones and hence it did not play nicely.
Closer view of the corner with the grid quilting.
Now who would believe that not all of the fabrics in this are new, the two reds and the grey plaid are upcycled mens shirts, the backing is a bed sheet (100% cotton and not a tight weave). I am really enjoying using upcycled materials for my quilts.
I love to add a surprise on the backs of my quilts so I used leftover pieces and scraps and pieced a fun strip across the back. I really did need to do something as the blue I had for the back was about 2 inches short so something had to be done to add to it.