This is a project I have been working on for some months now. I made great progress and then it went to the wayside. The baby that will receive this is coming up on her first birthday so I am pushing this back to the top of the UFO pile. It began with seeing my friend Shelley's version of this. She found it on a Quiltmaker site. I just love it and decided to make my own version from the photograph so mine is not the same size and also has different construction and many different design elements.
The flowers in the original are dimensional but since the baby will get to use this that was something I changed. I will add to the flowers with the quilting itself. My friend Suze found the butterfly fabric at the Valley Of The Sun Retreat in the give away bin. They were on a white background...........I fussy cut them and appliqued them on. I just wish I had three but two will do. The sheep eyes are reverse applique and the pupils are just made with a pigma pin. Buttons would have been cute but again this is for a baby. It is now ready for borders after much more time that I though I would spend on it. Below you can see the hexagons I started with. Some of them are already sewn together. I opted for whole hexi units instead of the half hexis in the original. I did not want seam across the center of each block. This made for many, many Y seams but I just added one or two rows each time I worked on this. That part of the top went quickly. It was all the applique which stalled this project. The applique parts were needle turn applique and include the flower stems, leaves, flower centers, the butterflies and the sheep eyes.