Friday, August 3, 2018
There are many reasons why some UFOS never get finished. Take for example this lovely pile of 24 vintage blocks. They were gifted to me years ago by a quilting friend. I am not sure where she got them but she decided she was not inspired enough to do anything with them. Since my first love of quilting was antique and vintage quilts I gladly accepted them. Every few years I would pull them out look at them and put them away again.
They were most likely pieced using scraps from garment making. There are 40's, 50's and maybe some 60's fabrics. Possibly some might even be newer. The background muslin is thin. The blocks are machine pieced except for one. The one hand pieced is more precise and has a black circle appliquéd to the center. This makes me wonder if this was the first block and the project got put away for some time or a second person got it. The fabrics are the same so it was likely from the same scrap collection.
The problem is that the machine piecing is not well crafted. The seams are from a quarter to an eighth of an inch. Points are lopped off and the edges are as much as a quarter inch off.
I have often thought I could remake this project and have shown it to a few friends who think I am nuts. I threw these blocks in with the stuff I took in the RV with me a year ago and figured if I was ever in need of something to fill the time I could do something with them.
Well such a day finally came. We are going tent camping for the weekend and I had no handwork project to grab. I saw these and realized that the only prep required was a couple bags and Jack my trusty seam ripper was all I needed. Ok......here goes nothing. Step one pick them apart. I'll let you know how that goes.
You can see the yellow point comes all the way to the edge of the next piece.....no that will no do!
Monday, July 30, 2018
After the first bag I was really excited....this is awesome!
So here are the deconstructed Jean legs laid out on the frame. I used white extra wide muslin on the back and Hobbs 80/20 batting. I just laid them out in a row.
OK now what. I started with the flowers and went from there. Ok also some feathers would be nice. I used Signature Cotton longarm thread in a variety of colors. For the design I went over each line over and over.....more like embroidery than quilting. For the background areas I just used black and did a meander stipple and straight lines. This part was just to flatten the background so the design would pop more.
In progress and I was having fun.
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
It is hard to believe that this UFO is almost 12 years old! I started it sometime in 2006 with block swaps for the log cabin blocks. After putting them together I decided to do a applique border around them and that took about a year. Then I loaded it on the longarm and did a stitch in the ditch around the top border applique and bottom border applique as well as the light parts of the log and some of the green inner border. I had to take it off the machine to work on customer quilts and it never got any further than that. Well I was looking thru my UFOs and since this one was already partly quilted I decided that I should work on this one next. There will be no deadline on this I will just keep at it till it is done. Since the blocks were from a swap the piecing is not good enough for a high end show quilt but I will still do some fancy quilting as practice and maybe enter it in some smaller shows. I just want to have fun with it.
Saturday, May 12, 2018
In any case this is a mystery quilt that I did at the 2018 Arizona Retreat this past February. It took forever to get the top finished but I kept at it. I tossed in in my suitcase when I was heading to New Mexico along with another quilt top I had finished. The quilting is going slower than usual because I am really paying close attention to the perfection of the feathers. I hope to get this finished today or tomorrow so I can load another top and get going.
Tuesday, July 11, 2017
This is the second completed top made from my summer scrap bin challenge. So how does something like this get created from a heap of scraps.
I will back up to the beginning. I knew the scraps were out of control. This is just one of several bins. I needed some projects to take with me to work on in my RV and could not really decide. On a whim I grabbed this large scrap bin and made myself a challenge to make quilts with this till they were all gone. At first my strategy was to just cut shapes. That went well and the first quilt quickly evolved from that. But I wanted a balance of color so changed up the process.
I decided to stop cutting shapes and concentrate on sorting by color family. Being on the road with limited space I recycled plastic bags as containers. Wow! I discovered a full rainbow of colors and neutrals. Humm there were plenty of scraps for a quilt with just cool colors. I had seen lots of quilts on Pinterest that were made up of nothing but triangles.
Now the plan really developed as I began cutting with my Tri-Recs rulers using both shapes. Humm maybe cut a few smallest ones too and figure out what to do with them later. Well really I only had so many larger scraps so had to piece together to have enough because the only fabric I had was gonna come out of the scrap bin so I was forced to make due.
Now I was on a mission as I went thru my bags of cool colors. I cut everything that was large enough into one of the three shapes. I was really liking the resulting pile!
Now I finally had enough for a decent size quilt. I laid them all out on my design area (aka the bed). I was just not loving the layout. I began to move things around.
Now that this one is finished I have been working on the next top, tree of life with an applique border........but that is for another post.