Saturday, July 26, 2014

Lots And Lots Of 8" Half Square Triangles

 I have decided to make my Majestic Mountains quilt lap size and think I will hang it on the wall when it is finished. Yesterday and today I spent some time combing the stash and pulling out blues and oranges. I did quite a bit of stash busting as I have many pieces that are fat eights or a handful even smaller. My calculations say that I used about 4 1/4 yards of my stash for this project. I have a lot more pieces in the scrap bin but then they are beautiful and colorful and will eventually be put to good use. Above is a photo of all of the squares sewn together. Each combination is in duplicate and I am not sure at this point if I will keep them together or mix them up. I do like the overall array of colors from deep and dark to light. The blues run form Navy to light turquoise and the orange from peach on the light end to almost a Burgundy on the dark end. My next step will be to trim all these 62 squares into 8 inches and begin cutting them up. My plan is to do one at a time so that there is no way they will get mixed up.........that would not be very fun. I am looking forward to seeing the finished blocks start to be grouped together.
A closer view of the fabrics.
Then my next UFO finish will be this little table runner. I made these blocks years ago. They were paper pieced. I had taught a class on this block and had 4 leftover papers so decided to make up enough blocks for a table runner. I had some very old Christmas fabrics from my original stash back in 1984. The background was a stark white which I did not like so I tea dyed them and added more fabrics that I had acquired more recently. I pieced the blocks and put them to the side. Every year I say that I will finish them up in time for a Christmas table runner. Well I think I pieced them around 2001 so it is time to finish this little project up. I am going to add the deep green all around for a border as the next step. I might make triangles on the two ends but am not sure yet. Once finished this will be my 7th UFO finish for this year and put me right on track to do one a month. What a good feeling that is.

I also need to work on the binding for the Walk In The Woods quilt and hope to have that sewn in the next few days so I have some handwork to do this coming week.

No comments: