Thursday, September 4, 2008

Time To Quilt One For Me!


I really truly love being a longarm quilter for hire. It is just great fun to quilt all kinds of things that I would never piece myself. I also get to try tons of new things and get tons of practice, practice, practice. There is a downside to being a professional longarm quilter and that is that I hardly ever get to quilt my own stuff. Mostly because I set my own hours and as long as I have customer quilts I try to get them done and back to their owners. Well I have decided that since I just finished another customer custom quilt it is time to do one of mine.
I have resurrected this beauty from the UFO pile. There really was not much left to do to get it ready for the machine. I only had to miter the black part of the final border, which took way less time than it did thinking about it. With that done I cleaned the top of lint and threads and go it ready for the machine. I have decided to really experiment and have fun with this so the firs thing I have done out of the box is to load it with Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom next to the backing and then added a layer of a high loft poly trimmed off of another project. I simply cut the long strip of poly into two pieces and connected them by making a wavy line to nest them and then loosely basting with huge stitches. Well the top is loaded and ready for quilting. I have some ideas of what I am going to do but until I actually begin I am not sure exactly what will happen as I go. Basically I love to just begin and then allow the quilting to flow from there. I do know that I will not be following the piecing pattern too much for the quilting and I do see feathers. Stay tuned for what happens next!

2 comments:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Wonderful I love the colours.Sadia

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Ahhh it finally got through. I tried so many times but google didnt want to recognise my password. I really look forward to seeing what quilting design s you come up with for this quilt. I have been reading 'feathers that fly' by Lee Cleland and am enjoying that. Im a lousy free motion quilter and definitely not a 'long armer' lol..but its good reading.
All the best Sadia