Thursday, October 2, 2008

Another Sari Quilt

That's right the traditional Indian ladies attire. These are beautiful silk saris from a customer who is Indian. She wants these made into to a quilt for her bed. I made one for her last year for her twin guest bed and she loves it so much she wants a bigger one for her own bed. The silks are just beautiful but are not the easiest to sew. I am making French seams which takes more time but also keeps the fabrics from fraying. The past few days I have been cutting these into strips and resewing the strips. Hopefully in a few more days those strips will evolve into blocks.
I think the best thing about making this quilt is that I am gifted with the leftover and the saris are each have about 6 yards of fabric. I am not sure what to do with them yet but the sure are pretty.

2 comments:

black bear cabin said...

Sari fabric is soooo hard to work with, but i bet it makes a stunning quilt! I made a bodypillow case once, and it frayed like crazy on the inside...i should have tried the french seams.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

The collection reminds me of my sari fabric. I have given some thought to making a quilt with them but haven't thought of how yet. I used several to make outfits: long skirt with a pleat in the back, long sleeved top that comes to the knees and then a vest that is embellished. All form the same fabric. I have pictures on my blog. I used french seams for all seams. The only way with the fraying.
I look forward to seeing what you do with these pieces. The leftovers are great for crazy quilting or short skirts for my daughter.
Sadia