Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Look What She Made Me Do


My friend Shelley kinda became obsessed with making these hexi 3D cubes and has been posting here growing collection that she is carefully English paper piecing in a little size. Well I have been seeing them all over my Pinterest feed lately and I guess I finally fell off the wagon yesterday and decided I had to try one. I recently was gifted a huge amount of fabric..........some of it is amazing and some very cheap cotton. I washed all the cotton and it has been sitting in my sewing room waiting to be ironed and folded and put away. Well I made an apron and used some of the dark green which is very still and not the best quality. The backside of that fabric is the lightest green and then there was the clover fabric.................humm..................I decided to make a practice cube entirely by machine out of that selection.  The triangles are 3" finished and the outter parts of the triangles are 1" finished.

I was able to cut all the parts out with this ruler and sew them up on the machine. The finished block is 10 inches finished size from one side to the other or 11 1/2 tip to tip. The block was very tricky and there was a little wasted fabric as well as a little session unsewing with Jack but in the end this went together all by machine in a little over and hour start to finish. Now that I know what I am doing and also have this practice block as a visual guide I think I am going to make up a little wall hanging using these blocks...................Thanks for the inspo Shelley.............see what you made me do!

No comments: