Saturday, April 18, 2020

Love This Pattern



I just love this Simplicity Hacking pattern number 8701. To date I have made three versions of them. The first pair was the last photo in this post. I do not just cut out sewing patterns any more like I used to in my earlier sewing days. Somewhere along the line I realized that getting a good fit right out of the envelope was just not gonna happen unless you are making a caftan. For me a test version is usually required to ensure I have a nice fit AND that I like the way the garment looks on me. I trace the pattern onto another paper (I usually use newsprint or a large roll of craft paper). I tape the pieces to a window and tape the paper over it. Then I can just trace things and make the changes I know I need like for pants adding length in the legs as well as the crotch depth. I also measure the hips and waist and may tweak that at this first step as well. For these pants I made two versions of quick shorts out of an old sheet. I only sew the main pieces just to be sure that it fits well before cutting into fabric for a wearable piece. These pants need to be fitted but not tight in the waist and hips so yes this took two tries. I had enough of the mustard fabric for a cropped pair and flared the legs wider on that version. I do not care for the fabric as it is some kind of poly blend but I do like the fit and the color so I wore them a lot last Summer and Fall.

I got about 5 yards of this denim at a shop hop during a quilt retreat in Phoenix a year and a half ago. I love the way these jeans came out. The fit is amazing and they are very comfortable. The fabric was so thick that I could not do belt loops and had to do a hand done buttonhole as it would not fit under that attachment of the machine. I do have enough fabric for a second pair which I will do with a few more modifications. The pockets will be deeper and I figured out a way to do belt loops with less bulk. These jeans have also shrunk about 1/2" with washing even though the fabric was prewashed, so I will wash it a couple more times before I cut them out.

I found a nice lightweight twill in 100% cotton at JoAnn Fabrics for a black pair. With this version I made the pockets deeper and did belt loops. This is my favorite version. I have to wait to get out of quarantine to get my buttonhole foot for my sewing machine as it is up in Colorado and I am in New Mexico. Since I can belt these that is not really a problem for now. This fabric is much thinner so the buttonhole should not be a big deal. I used a medium grey topstitch tread for these and it is perfect for contrast but not in your face white.




Here is some detail of the pockets. This pair is 2" deeper than the mustard and jeans version. I self drafted these pockets. I have a pair of shorts that has a similar pocket and decided to try it. I do love the way it looks.

This last pair is my first wearable version of this pattern. These would only be better if the fabric were cotton instead of polyester. I had this fabric in my stash for years and I figured I had nothing to loose by using it for this pattern. This photo was taken at the airport in Denver when I was heading to Albuquerque last summer.

I highly recommend this pattern, especially if you take the extra time to do some fitting. There are lots of options on the pattern for different looks. I may even put back pockets on my next pair.

No comments: