Friday, February 6, 2009

More Work On Lou's Block


This bow was a total experiment, and I love how it came together. The ribbon was pretty stiff and hard to work with. Basically I began with tying a real bow with the amount of ribbon I wanted to use. I plopped it down and did the first french knot in the center of the bow to secure it. Then I worked my way around each of the bow parts turning and adding french knots to arrange them in a pleasing way. Then I did the same with the ties. Next I had to figure out flowers. Since I did not really have the right silk thread I thought out of the box and went to my DMC floss stash and found this wonderful color that went nicely with the ribbon and the background and made chain stitched roses. I made the stitches very loose so they would stand up nicely and love the effect. I also found a green that went with my other colors and just did some lazy daisy leaves. I really like this one.


This one is at the center of the block and the more I looked at it the less I wanted to plop down some design. I finally decided accentuate the rose so did a blanket stitch in two colors to define it. I also added french knots to the center.



There are some really long narrow patches and I decided to just add a feather stitch vine to this one. If I have time I will add something to the vine but this can also be added in the next round as well.

3 comments:

Nanci said...

Beautiful, just beautiful is all I can say. what a talent you are.

black bear cabin said...

Looks great...but i love your bow with the roses! very cute! i would love to see a shot of the whole square :)

Nanci said...

I just looked at what you did to the fabric again. I am going to look for something that I can try to embroider also.
How clever you were to embellish it the way you did.
Love to just look at it.