Thursday, May 21, 2020

Fine Tuning The Hexi Cubes

These blocks are quite intriguing as well as tricky little beasties. I decided that the green one I made needed some tweaking as far as the size of the rhombus shapes on the outside of the triangles. I made them at a 1" finished size and decided they were a bit thick so wanted to see if they would look better if I made them narrower. The triangles are 3" top to base so instead of 1" strips I cut them down to a 3/4" finished size. I think I like them better a little narrower. The plan moving forward will be to make three sizes of blocks. The smallest will have 2" triangles and 1/2" strips, the middle size (the blue one pictured) will be 3" triangles with 3/4" strips and the largest will be 4" triangles with 1" strips. I plan on making each one of 7 in a rainbow color so stay tuned for progress.  also think that the contrast of the dark, medium, light really needs to be pronounced. The light on the green cube is not light enough to really make the block pop like I want it to but the blue one really pops. Finding the right three shades for each block will be a real challenge but one that I am gonna try to get just right.



If you look at these two blue cubes what is wrong with the one on the right.............yup I did not realize the problem until I had photographed the block. When I made the cube I laid out the parts and thought I was being careful comparing it to the green one but I guess I was not careful enough and got the triangles correct but not the strips. I had to do a bit of unsewing and resewing to correct the problem to end up with the block on the left.................you really need to pay attention to what you are putting together when making these. I am able to piece them pretty accurately by machine though so they go fast if you do not sew something together wrong.

2 comments:

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Wow those do look tricky! And then to be sure they're sewn together correctly too. I didn't notice the difference until you pointed it out.

Linda P. said...

Thanks for posting the size details. I may have to try one of these.