Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Joy's Mystery Quilt



Back in May one of my quilting friends on Facebook started a group to make a mystery quilt just to give us some fun during the quarantine. I decided to go ahead and join the group since it was for a scrap bin project and I had two overflowing scrap bins. Well I made all of the blocks she had in the mystery, but in the end I decided to just mess around with the blocks and see what else I could come up with. My final setting is not the mystery but I did use all the blocks, with no extra nor did I have to make any more than she asked for........a real win. I used a bunch of scraps and had fun. I kinda put this on hold when I started working on the tree of life applique border. Now that that is done I pulled this back out yesterday morning and started playing.

I have leftover leaves from the tree of life project. I also found some flower buds from another applique project. The flower template is from a round robin I did years ago for someone's quilt (I think it was Linda Hoo). The vine in the photo is leftover from another project and it is too dark so I will use a different fabric. I found a couple of butterflys I had cut out and am going to use them. I also love the birds I did on the tree of life project so I am going to make two more. The good thing is this is a lot less applique than the tree of life so it will not take as long to get it done. Each corner will have the flowers, vine and leaves. The top and bottom will have a bird and a butterfly. At least that is the plan right now.

This plan is close to the one I made but it needed a few more blocks to be made and it was also a bit to tall and narrow. 

I really love this idea with the string blocks and may use it in a future project. Again this setting I needed to make more of the string blocks and I had leftover fourpatches.

These are my blocks after clue 2. I just laid them out and do love the string blocks. I have decided that I like the idea of taking the string blocks and adding a plain fabric to half of them as we were instructed to do in clue 3. (Sorry no photos.........I lost some of the photos I took of the early steps of the mystery including some other alternate setting I played around with) This made 60 blocks out of the 30 string blocks without a huge amount of extra effort...........love that technique!

Here are my clue 1 fourpatches. Not very exciting but I did use quite a lot of scraps to make these 32 blocks. They finish at 5" a good size. Aside from the blue triangles in the center star all of the fabrics for this quilt came from my scraps...........well ok I did cut a few from yardage but not that many.

No comments: