Friday, March 5, 2021

Whoo Gives A Hoot

 

This is my latest challenge piece. I stared at this for eleven months till January and needed to get in gear. We had to use the fabric and make something to make you laugh or smile. The little guy on the right is Whoo and he does not give a hoot.




Not many people participated. I love my little quilt and was glad I had a reason to make it.

This is the challenge fabric, I saw a hoot owl from the get go but they are serious birds and the theme did not work for a realistic bird. I finally came up with my cute little trio of owls.

A closer look at the detail which was perfect for making owls.

This is my original design. Once I did this I was off and running!

Owl parts all cut out and arranged and I was so happy with how they were working.

Here are all the parts to make one owl. All the assembly was my go to needleturn appliqué. 

More progress and auditioning owls on the branch and leaves. 

Finally to the quilting. I wanted wind blowing and stumbled across the famous van Gogh Starry Night. I had it as a poster on my wall in High School and had always loved it. The placement of the moon was perfect so it was just ment to be! I drew it out in chalk and used silver thread.

I next did a free flow grifitti background. The owls and leaves were quilted last. Below are all the thread tails just from the beige thread for the owl bellies.  Yes I tie and bury all my thread tails. I used a ton of different thread colors to quilt the owls.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I give a hoot! These are darling owls. And, I would never have noticed the owl feathers from the pic of the fabric you received! The whole piece works so well. I first noticed the quilting that reminded me of Van Gogh's Starry Night. This piece does have humor but so much more. Great job!

PaintedThread said...

Those owls are adorable. Love the quilting, too. What a fun quilt!

Jenny said...

Such a wonderful trio of owls, especially him who doesn't give a hoot! Great job.

Ramona said...

How adorable!! You're right... this little quilt really made me smile. Great finish on your challenge. Your use of the fabric, your owls and your quilting are all spot on.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Wow, what a stunning quilt. Thanks for sharing photos.

hetty said...

OMG! That is adorable! Your composition, your choice of fabrics and your quilting are all wonderful. Great job. It made me smile.

Carol Andrews said...

Wow! Your owls are incredible.

Deb said...

S0 adorable! thanks for sharing!

Kim S said...

Too cute!