Thursday, April 23, 2020

Muslin For Blue Linen Pants


During quarantine sewing has become my happy place. I was slow to get going but once I started making things the ideas are just going thru the roof and I have become really productive both making clothes and quilts.

I made these a couple of weeks ago to test the fit for Simplicity 8922. I have been seeing these pants all over my Pinterest feed the past year and just love the relaxed look and the detail at the bottom. I thrifted the tie dye top during the same retreat in February for $1.........what a deal.


I bought a beautiful blue linen fabric in Phoenix during my quilt retreat this February to make a pair. I decided to do a test run before I cut into the linen. I found this fabric in my stash. I had bought and entire bolt at Walmart years ago to use a curtains in my longarm quilting machine area. It is a mystery fabric and was really cheap.............I am thinking it was less than $1 per yard. I did a burn test and it is definitely a poly of some kind but it has a nice weight and a linen look to it so I sewed up a pair.

The top is another thrifted find from last Summer. I just loved the color and casual feel. I do remember it was pretty cheap. I love the color combination with the purple. The shoes are ancient but seemed to work with the outfit so why not.

Right out of the envelope I added 1" to the crotch depth and 4" to the leg length. I really love these and just want to make one more muslin with a few more tweaks. I am going to shorten the legs as I like a little more cropped look. As you can see there is no length adjustment with hemming so the length you cut is what you get. I also want to add just a little more hip ease so will add a little there. Down the road I may try to do an alternate waist treatment with a waistband, side zipper and pleats at the waist instead of gathers but I would really need to think that thru. If I did that I would have to omit the side pockets as the zipper would not work well with that.................and your girls loves pockets.............maybe some external pockets.

Here is the pattern. When I saw view D it was love at first sight, that bottom detail is right up my ally.


The bottom detail is really what drew me to this pattern in the first place. I may play around with this a little as well. It could also look great in a contrast color...........the possibilities are endless.

I have been seeing lots of seamstresses making fun details inside the garments. I had a small amount of this fabric in my garment stash. It is a cotton but slightly heavy for quilting so really not suitable for quilts. Not sure what my original plan was, maybe a top. Well I decided to have some fun and use it for pockets. I also did french seams for the entire garment except for the side seams. Because of the pocket construction trying to figure out a french seam would be really hard so I just serged those.

The little surprise of the pocket from the outside, just a flash of color.

No comments: