Tuesday, July 8, 2014

You Can Never Have Enough Cats

 Another UFO finished and off the pile! This was started way back in around 1999. I joined my very first block swap on About.com Quilting Forum. We were swapping the MaCalls Quilting cat blocks made of what else but cat fabric. Humm .............. I love cats so I was in. The swapping went on for quite some time. In the end I was getting back more of my own block due to the dwindling number of swappers. In all I got hundreds of these little 5x9 cat blocks. I made a queen sized quilt for daughter number one and quilted it by the stuff and fluff method under my domestic sewing machine. That was years ago. I never got around to the second quilt for daughter number two until a few months ago. I was going thru my bins from my sewing room that had been packed away and came across this herd of cats. I told daughter number two that this would be the first UFO that I would finish. I had to sew more blocks and put the top together. I found the perfect fabrics in the stash for borders. There was just enough to piece the outer border but it worked just right.
The back of the quilt was pieced. It is almost a second quilt. I found some yardage of cat fabric inherited from an aunt. I also had some purple fabric left over from the last top and there was just enough to make a row with some giant cats and a few of the blocks that did not make the front. I found the green solid fabric in my stash and it was just right. I had enough to make two rows, along with more blocks and a couple more giant cats. My daughter gets to sleep under the finished quilt tonight.

No comments: